Photo credit: Goggle
How to prevent and treat Constipation
“It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver. “
Good Afternoon to you this Afternoon.
What I want to share with you today is a common digestive disorder.
It is discovered that 90% of any population experience Constipation at least once in their lifetime.
Constipation means different things to different people because our body system differs.
To some people, it’s a shift from the normal physiological bowel movements or passing out hard stool.
Medically, Constipation is having hard bowel movements or going to the toilet fewer than three times a week.
Some people go to the toilet 3 times a day, while others 3 times a week. This is what is normal for them. When this is altered, there is a cause for alarm.
The Human Colon’s main job is to absorb water from residual food as it is passing through your digestive system. This then creates stool.
If there is no enough water in the food, or the stool remains in the colon for too long, it can become hard and difficult to pass.
Causes of Constipation Includes:
- Poor Diet; Eating of Low fiber diet e.g Meat
- Inadequate water intake or Dehydration; This is a major cause of Constipation.
- Lack of Exercise.
- Traveling or change of routine.
- Certain Medications e.g Antacids, Iron Supplements e.t.c
Others may include Diseases like Diabetes, Stroke, Hormonal Imbalance.
The signs of Constipation are:
~Passing hard and dry stool
~Pain during bowel movements
~Nausea (urge to vomit)
~Loss of appetite.
Constipation can be prevented and also treated when it is discovered early and not neglected.
Preventions and Treatment of Constipation includes:
- Change of Diet; Consume more of High Fiber foods e.g Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts, and Grains.
- Adequate consumption of water
- Increase physical activity and Exercise.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol and caffeine.
- When you feel the urge to have a bowel movement, do not delay.
- Use laxatives.
Do you know that Constipation can become life-threatening if not treated on time?
When you are experiencing Constipation, do something about it.
Your Health is your Wealth. Take good care of it.
If you feel Bloated or Uncomfortable after following the precautions, please ensure you see your Doctor.
It is my pleasure to share this with you.
And I’ll be glad to hear your views.
Do have a pleasant evening.